What is global warming?
The greenhouse is a natural process that traps solar radiation in the earth, and for this, greenhouse gases are important components. However, excessive amounts of greenhouse gases absorb more radiation and ultimately raise the earth’s temperature. In general, an increase in the average global temperature of the earth is called global warming.
Causes of global warming:
Global warming is an international problem, mainly caused by deforestation, climate change, and fossil fuel combustion. Greenhouse gases are capable of absorbing solar radiation, including water vapor, CO2, methane, chlorofluorocarbons, ozone, and nitrous oxide.
1. Carbon Dioxide (CO2):
Carbon dioxide is the most abundant greenhouse gas found in the atmosphere, and therefore it is most responsible for the increase in global temperature.
Carbon dioxide introduces in the atmosphere by burning of fossil fuels, solid waste, trees, and wood products. Before the industrial revolution, the co2 was in the ratio of 280 molecules out of 1 million molecules ( 280 ppm). Recently, the amount of CO2 has increased to 380 ppm. Today, 55 % or more of co2 responsible alone, out of the total emissions of greenhouse gases due to human activities. co2 remains in the atmosphere for 50 to 200 years. therefore, scientists more worried about co2 growth rate.
According to per unit volume, methane heating up the atmosphere 21 times more than that of the co2. However, the amount of methane in the atmosphere is very low. In the last two hundred years, the amount of methane increased to 145 %. The methane comes out from decomposition of waste, new technology in the field of agriculture, and from coal mine also.
The growth of CFC in the atmosphere is only due to human activities. The CFC was not present in the atmosphere before it was built in 1930. It is used as a coolant in refrigerators, air conditioners, and aerosols. It damages the ozone layer and aids in global warming.
4. Destruction of forests
Vegetation absorbs the co2 from the atmosphere and balances the amount of o2. The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is increasing due to the felling of trees.
Effects of global warming on the environment
- Due to the rise in temperature, glaciers located on the poles and mountains of the earth are being melted, and this water goes into the sea, ultimately cause sea levels to rise.
- Climate change means climate change over the long term. The effects of climate change are extreme weather, extreme cold, hot, drought, rainfall.
- Climate change causes biodiversity loss and damages to ecosystems.
- Landslides, earthquakes, and volcanic activity are among the long-term effects of global warming.
Effects on human
- With the rise in sea level, the population living in the coastal has to leave their habitat.
- On the one hand, the flood situation is being created, while on the other hand, some countries are facing drought. In many parts of the world, people are not getting enough food and are facing starvation problems.
What we can do?
- The smoke emanating from the chimney of industrial units is harmful. Measures are to be taken to prevent pollution in these units.
- Felling of trees has to be stopped and needed tree plantation.
- Follow the environmental standards to minimize the impact of smoke from vehicles.
- Use renewable energy to produce electricity instead of coal.